Screen8 Call for Filmmaker-in-Residence 2022
Virgin Media Dublin International Film Festival in partnership with The Digital Hub is seeking a Filmmaker-in-Residence to lead and facilitate the 2021 Screen 8 filmmaking programme. The deadline for applications is Monday 4th October at 12pm.
The ‘Screen8’ project was piloted in 2018 with the aim of supporting people from the inner-city community of Dublin 8 where the Festival is based, as well as bringing new talent and diversity to the industry. The project brings together a group of older adults to participate in a 6-month film project, mentored by the Filmmaker-in-Residence.
What will the residency involve?
The Screen 8 Filmmaker-in-Residence will lead a group of 18 older adults from the Dublin 8 area through the process of making a short film. Sessions will take place weekly where the Filmmaker will be supported by an assistant tutor. The content and format of the weekly sessions are to be determined by the Filmmaker (with guidance from the Festival and The Digital Hub) with the aim of producing a festival-ready short film at the end of the process. The Filmmaker will also be given an office on-site at The Digital Hub to support their own work and development.
Who is eligible to apply?
- have made a minimum of 2 short films
- has worked on projects involving older people
- have been awarded at least 1 award or commendation for their film … work from a recognised festival or organisation.
Where is the programme taking place?
- The Filmmaker will be based in The Digital Hub in Dublin 8.
How long will the whole project last?
- 26 weeks
What is the outcome of this process?
Working towards producing a short film, the aim of the project is not only to teach the group filmmaking skills but develop their leadership, public speaking and teamwork skills, building resilience and empathy. The FIR and the Screen8 programme should encourage older adults to develop their own creative voices, thinking critically about their environment and their potential to shape and change it.
The value of the residency is €10,000. The filmmaker will receive a fee of €5,000 as well as an office space in The Digital Hub valued at €5,000.
If you are interested in applying, please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with Filmmaker-in-Residence in the subject line:
- A cover letter including your personal details concisely outlining in detail how you propose to:
- Approach the delivery of the workshops with the senior citizens.
- Inspire senior filmmakers
- Develop and produce a short film with the group
- An updated Curriculum Vitae (max. two A4 pages)
- A showreel or example of previous work
- Any relevant information (as necessary) (max. two A4 pages)
Please collate all documents into one attachment, either Word or PDF